Dear Friends and Family As most of you know, we have been in process for an adoption from Ethiopia for over 3 years!!! Last May we received a surprise call about the most precious 3.5-month-old baby boy who just a few short weeks later became our son. This caused our family to go “on hold” […]

" /> Zebediah | Growing in Faith & Family

Zebediah

By admin. Filed in Uncategorized  |  
TOP del.icio.us digg

Dear Friends and Family

As most of you know, we have been in process for an adoption from Ethiopia for over 3 years!!! Last May we received a surprise call about the most precious 3.5-month-old baby boy who just a few short weeks later became our son. This caused our family to go “on hold” with our agency for Ethiopia.

We are still on hold, as during that time of both mandatory waiting and our extension, some of our paperwork expired and needed updating. We have been frantically working to get this completed as quickly as possible. Partly because we are so very close to the top of the list – like could-receive-a-referral-at-any-point after our paperwork was complete.

That brings us to just a few days ago. The last steps in our update included our social worker visiting our home for a safety check and for us to complete the last of our training. That home visit occurred on Thursday, April 16 and we were leaving that evening for GA to complete the last of our training for international adoption. However, our social worker dropped a bomb during that meeting. (Important to note that we work with multiple agencies – this agency facilitates domestic adoptions and provides home studies for international adoptions that are sent to other agencies)

Near the end of our meeting, she said that she very recently had a birth mom come in and was in urgent need for a family. None of her current waiting families were a match for – or wanted – this particular baby. So, knowing our desires and parameters, she asked us to prayerfully consider the possibility of welcoming this baby into our family.

Perhaps it’s the fierce protector, or Mama bear instinct in me, but I just answered โ€œyesโ€ right away. Warren, being more calm and rational said that we would pray about it but would “likely” consider the possibility โ˜บ

We dropped Abijah off at Mammie and Papaw’s house that evening, and began our drive south. For that whole 6 hours, that whole weekend, and the long drive back, we talked, we prayed, we cried, we rejoiced, we played “what if” (both good and bad), and we prayed some more, we argued, we agreed, and prayed some more. At the same time, we were soaking in this intense training and learning all kinds of scary-but-helpful things.

On Monday we called our agency. We went in the next day, Tuesday the 21st, to learn what little there was to know about the situation and we signed our paperwork stating our intent to pursue the adoption of this baby.

What does this mean?

This is NOT a guarantee that we will get this little boy. At any point, up until something like 30 days after birth, the Mom can change her mind. Also, we don’t know anything about birth dad who also has 90 days to step in and take custody. We literally know nothing about any of that. All we know is that as of right now, the decision has been made for adoption and if it follows though we will be his family.

As for Ethiopia, we are going to continue the last few steps to get our paperwork up-to-date and ready (including immigration fingerprints in OH this week). The last we knew, we are able to stay on hold up to two years and we are at about month 11 now.

“If”, big if, we are ready to pursue an adoption from Ethiopia at the end of that waiting, we will be paperwork ready to do so. “If” this domestic adoption falls-through, then we will still be on track for international adoption.

We are really just trying to discern God’s will, and be open to His guidance and direction. It really would be easier if He just put a flashing neon sign in front of me with the right answer, but alas, that’s not typically the way it works ๐Ÿ˜‰

Whatever happens, I can already say that God has taught me so much in this process (this is a whole blog post in itself). I don’t regret a single step in our journey. If either the domestic, international, or both doors close to us, that would be so difficult but I can honestly say that I do not question our calling, and I will praise God for all He has done because I know there is a purpose and He has a plan.

I’m super nervous about this addition to our family as I will be a Mama to two under 15 months old! And, to be honest, I am grieving my one on one time with my sweet Abijah. I know that if this is the path God has for us that it’s going to be good and our story will be amazing. But, I also know that because our story is not yet finished, we have yet to experience all the twists and turns that make it great!

Please pray for the birth mom over this next couple of weeks and all that she may be going through/facing. Again, we know nothing about her, or what brought her to this decision, so I can only imagine what she is going through.

Pray for us and for our hearts. We’ve had such a short amount of time to process this and make a decision, and I know this is going to be a huge adjustment for our whole family. Also, please pray for our finances. Adoption is incredibly expensive, and with such short notice we are not really prepared. God is already showing us ways that He will provide, but we could really use some peace in this area.

Finally, pray for Zebediah, that he will be protected and have a healthy and safe birth on May 5th!

With much love,
The Myers

Leave a Reply